Ever try to lose weight with a trendy, so-called "diet" or weight-loss gimmick only to experience frustration and failure? You're not alone. These types of plans often set you up for failure...but why? Here are the 6 main reasons:
1. Diets deprive us: Many diets involve eliminating certain foods or even whole food groups. This is not only unhealthy but also unrealistic for the long term weight loss.
2. Diets are temporary. Once they have reached their goal, most people go back to "normal" eating, so the weight comes back.
3. Diets often don't fit into normal life. Weighing and measuring food may help you lose weight, but aren't practical as long-term strategies for most people.
4. Diets can be expensive. Buying special foods can rack up a big bill quickly.
5. Diets can actually lower your metabolism. When you drastically cut back on calories, your metabolism tends to slow down. You burn fewer calories and the diet becomes less effective.
6. A diet is only half of the equation. Lifetime weight management is not just about what you eat. It requires a long-term plan of action.
And there you have it. If you are looking to shed a quick pound or two on a short term basis a diet may help you, so long as you understand that a diet will NEVER actually change your life. Accept this reality and you won't be so let down in the end when your weight goes right back to where it was before the diet.