Monday, July 25, 2011

The Request Line

So I was driving in my car the other day when a song that I like came on the radio. I proceeded to turn up the volume as I caught myself beginning to sing along with it. "I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me." Now, although it is only a song and it is all in good fun, it suddenly occurred to me that this might not the best or most positive thing for me to be singing.

So I turned the volume down I began to think about all of the words to various songs, which I sing without really thinking it. How often do we just sing along to songs and not think about the words? Are you aware that when we say or sing words, this is a form of self-hypnosis? And so, although most people think that it is only a song, it is in essence programming us.

We begin to take control of our lives the moment we take RESPONSIBILITY for what we do. Think about that for a moment. Do you really want to be at the mercy of the moods and concepts presented to you by your radio? Do you really want to feel like a "loser?” I know you like the way the song sounds and it can be fun to pretend for moment that you are in the songwriter's shoes. But the truth is that there is a cumulative effect to listening to negative words. You developed an entire library in your subconscious mind of disempowering phrases that play over and over throughout your day.

I'm always amazed by people who say "I can't be hypnotized" or "I don't believe in hypnosis" yet they have a hypnotic library in their heads which plays throughout the day and programs them to be "losers, heartbroken, sad," etc. And every time they sing along to a "cool song" with negative wording, they reinforce this.

So, as an intelligent reader, I invite you to quit doing this. I invite you to no longer be at the mercy of what a radio or DJ wants you to hear. From now on, think of your mind like an all-request show on the radio, so the radio station only plays songs you want to hear. If you hear a disempowering song, in your head or on the radio, change the station. This is a challenging one for sure - letting go of all that "good" music. But although it is not intentional, modern culture is luring you into disempowerment.

Now, maybe you're thinking that it's nice to hear a sad song when you're sad because it gives you comfort." I completely agree. There are countless songs that were written by people who felt bad and then offered a positive solution. The song "Love Will Come Again" is one. Here is a song that starts out talking about how sad one can be after ending a relationship. But then it clearly and positively states, "Love will come again." There is no telling how many lives this song has helped with its words of hope. However, many songs do not do this. They simply leave you hanging or in some cases, they offer terrible solutions.

So take charge of your life! Live it on YOUR terms and refuse to be at the mercy of others. Think your own thoughts. BE POWERFUL! Live an intelligent life that moves you toward your goals. The request line to your mind is open...so pick something positive!

Create Your Positive Life Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment